Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Stability Balls, aka Yoga Balls, are awesome for the classroom!


A fellow Instagrammer posted a question this evening about the pros & cons of stability balls in the classroom. I have been using them for going on 5 years & think they are wonderful! Therefore, I had a few things to say in the topic... Here is the comment I wrote to her (and more) which I hope you too find helpful :) 

I have them in my classroom!!!! I started with 1 per student (over time they get weak & "pop" -typically this seems to happen on the day of a sub, go figure!). Anyway, now I rotate them around the room, except for the students who benefit from using them daily. 


Pros: They are great for balance, posture, & getting out the wiggles! They really do help keep students focused & centered on their work (however, you also need to recognize there may be students in your classroom who are overstimulated by them -so stay observant). 


I use large ice cream lids (talk to a local dairy!) to keep them from rolling when not in use & to prop on desks for night cleaning. 


As with anything else, your classroom management of this "tool, not a toy" is what will make it most successful. If you are excited about them, the students will be. If you are understanding that everyone has different needs & explain this to your class, then your students will also be understanding. If you set clear expectations (& limitations? No bouncing, rolling, kneeling/laying-on), then the students will follow them (or loose their turn?). 


If you haven't implemented these into your classroom yet, now is the time! Embrace the idea, your students will thank you. Mine sure do (including other students in the building who are not even in my classroom). 


(More pictures coming soon... They aren't on my cloud) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your friendly feedback is always appreciated!